Dawning Family Services incorporates programs and case management
to create a personalized plan for each family. The myriad of services include:
Safe and secure shelter
Housing search programs
Prevention & diversion services
Rapid Re-Housing (RRH) assistance
Post-shelter support to ensure a family's continued housing stability
In 2018, Dawning Family Servicers (formerly Alpha House of Tampa) is proud to share that we:
- Sheltered 140 adults and 165 children onsite of the emergency shelter
- Served 93 families through our post-shelter support services
- Housed 42 families through our Rapid Re-Housing (RRH) Program, which provides security and utility deposits, rental assistance, and post-shelter case management services.
- 100% of adults participated in life-skills training
- 75% of families left to permanent housing as defined by HUD
- 72% of adults advanced their education and/or improved their ability to gain and retain meaningful employment
- 67% of children who received Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) developmental screenings were at or above their developmental milestones and ready for school (the others were referred to outside agencies for additional support).
Featured Success Stories
Sleeping on a park bench along with your two young sons
. . . pushing your newborn and your toddlerin a stroller during the wee
hours of night trying to keep out of harm’s way . . . sneaking your family
into an unventilated storage unit because that was the only place with four walls and a roof. These are not the experiences of three families who have stayed at Dawning Family Services; it is the story of one . . . Tara and her
two children, Theo and Tyler.
Tara explains, “I couldn’t stay at my mom’s house because she kept threatening me and stealing my things. The boys’ father’s house, well let’s just say that it just wasn’t the healthiest environment. I had no place where my sons and I were welcome.”
Under ideal circumstances, parenting can be a challenge. For Tara and so many other parents like her, obstacles often stymie efforts to provide for the well-being of their families. Without appropriate childcare, Tara could not sustain employment; without a job, she could not lease, much less maintain, the expense of an apartment; and without a home, she could not perform normal daily activities, including showering, preparing meals for her sons, and getting a good night’s sleep.
Fortunately, Tara, Theo, and Tyler were directed to Dawning Family Services where they were provided safe shelter, case management, and housing search services. While there, Tara found a part-time job at a local hospital, obtained vouchers coordinated by her case manager to place her sons in childcare, and enrolled in our rapid rehousing program, securing within ten weeks a lease in her own name for the first time in her life.
Tara shares, “The staff believed in me even when no one else did, including myself. They motivated me and reminded me of what I should prioritize and all that I could accomplish. However, they did not do the work for me. They sent me in the right direction so that I can take care of things on my own.”